When your home is in need of siding repair or installation, you’re probably right to assume that it’s best to trust an experienced siding contractor to do the job. But finding the right contractor isn’t as simple as calling the first business that pops up in an online search, or that one company whose ads always seem to appear in the local paper. When it comes to any type of major home improvement project, finding the right contractor for your specific project and your particular needs requires some more involved planning and consideration. But where should you begin the search? Here are some tips for finding a siding contractor in Calgary that you can work with, trust and count on to do the job right:
- Ask around and assemble a list of contractors. As a homeowner, you probably know numerous family members, friends and neighbors who’ve hired a contractor to install or repair siding. Ask for recommendations, as well as for names of businesses to avoid. By narrowing your options to those contractors whose work you can verify with people you trust, you can avoid having to wander down too many blind alleys.
- Do some additional research. Particularly if there isn’t a consensus first choice among the people in your life, take the next step by researching their recommendations online. Visit their websites, look at customer reviews, check with the Better Business Bureau and maybe even call to get references from recent customers.
- Make sure your risk is minimal. A siding contractor who is licensed, bonded and insured can help protect you against unexpected costs associated with property damage or injury. While the standards may vary from location to location, it’s always a good bet to go with a company that’s taken sufficient actions to protect their customers from unnecessary risk.
- Meet with prospective contractors. If there are two or three contractors you’re having a hard time choosing between, it might be useful to sit down with each of them to discuss your needs and learn what they can do for you. Getting an estimate of the cost can’t hurt, either.
- Think about your budget. Considering your budget during any home improvement project can be stressful and overwhelming, but that doesn’t make it any less worthwhile. Determine what you’re comfortable paying, and make sure you stick to it. However, don’t just go with the contractor who’s offering the lowest estimate, as the warning “You get what you pay for!” certainly applies.
- Trust your instincts. If, after meeting with a particular contractor, you’re left feeling uneasy or unconvinced, don’t feel under any obligation to give them your business. Make sure you go with a contractor who you feel comfortable working with. After all, it’s your home, and your money.
You’ll likely have some other questions and concerns you’ll want to clear up before doing business with a siding contractor in Calgary, but by taking the above tips into consideration as part of your planning process, you’ll be well on the way to developing a good relationship with a reliable siding contractor.