Many people have had poor experiences with roofing contractors in Calgary. Once in a while homeowners lose money on roofing scams or simply have poor quality work done at higher than average costs. When it comes time for a new roof, however, you inevitably will need to go through the process of hiring a roofing company. This is why it is important to know the essential qualities to look for when it is time to repair or replace your roof.
You do not need to be an expert in roofing to make an educated decision. Shopping for a quality roofing contractor can take a little more time and effort but in the end you will wind up with a contractor who does a great job at a competitive price. Here are five things to look out for when hiring a roofing contractor.
- Stable business address: One important thing to find out about a roofing contractor in Calgary is whether they have a permanent place of business. There are shady roofing businesses that descend upon homeowners after storms or simply do off-the-record work. Most of these businesses will not have an office or other location that shows their intention of being in business for years to come. Your roofing contractor should be able to produce a verifiable physical address as well as a stable business phone number. Hiring a local company with a stable business address is a great way to gain assurance they do quality work.
- Positive reviews: An equally important thing to look for in roofing contractors in Calgary is whether they have positive references or online reviews. Just about any experienced and reliable roofing company will frequently ask customers to provide a reference or review after a job is complete. These references and reviews will accumulate over time, providing valuable insight into a company’s work ethic and quality of service. Take advantage of reviews and references when hiring a roofer.
- Licensed, bonded and insured: Before hiring any company, ask if the roofer is bonded and insured. People often assume the roofer they are hiring is covered under insurance and that their employees are bonded without actually checking to see if this is true. What happens if the roofer isn’t covered and an accident happens? Who is responsible? You might be liable if there is an accident. A legitimate roofer will have no problem producing the documentation to prove that they have the necessary coverage and that the coverage is up to date.
- Warranties: It also is a good idea to find out if the roofer offers any sort of warranty on the work they complete. Defective roofing materials or craftsmanship isn’t apparent immediately after the job is complete. It could be a year or longer before problems related to the materials or quality of the work can show up. Consider hiring roofers that offer a warranty or other form of guarantee that is written into the work contract.
- Understanding of local regulations: A final thing worth investigating when looking for roofing contractors in Calgary is whether a company has knowledge and experience working with local regulations. You can’t simply hire a roofer and have them begin work immediately. In most cases, a permit is required to show that the contractor has the right to work on your roof. The roofer should obtain all the permits and understand any other important local regulations to ensure your roofing project is completed legally.
Call Rhino Exteriors today if you’re looking for a dependable, honest and high quality roofing contractor in Calgary.