Once you make the investment in residential vinyl siding in Calgary, you want it to look its best. Fortunately, one major reason vinyl siding is popular and a good option for busy homeowners is the ease in which it can be cleaned. If you are considering installing vinyl siding this summer or last year’s installation is showing too much winter grime, here is how you can make it shine again—and with less effort and cost than you would expect:
- Keep it soft: Start with your choice of cleaning implements. Since vinyl siding can scratch or dent, you want to choose soft cloths or brushes. A long-handled soft-bristle brush is often ideal because you can cover a greater area and reach higher places.
- Know your cleaning solutions: A mixture of 70 percent water and 30 percent white vinegar is a cost-effective and excellent option. It will remove dirt, as well as light mold and mildew strains. If you need something strong, go with one third of a cup of laundry detergent, two thirds of a cup of powdered household cleaner and one quart of bleach. Mix it all in one gallon of water. To create a solution that is friendlier to your landscaping, choose a green cleaner like Simple Green, which is non-toxic and biodegradable. You can also make a green solution with one gallon of water mixed with one cup of oxygen bleach.
- Use good technique: To avoid streaks, start at the bottom and work towards the roof. As you cover an area, rinse the cleaning solution thoroughly. Otherwise, it will leave marks as it dries.
- Keep a spot cleaner handy: Stronger detergents like Windex or Lysol should not be used on the entirety of your siding, but if you come across tough stains, like grass, grease, crayon or ink, they will make good spot cleaners. If your siding has rust stains, you may need to consider Super Iron Out or Instant Rust Out. Your best course of action is to detect any troublesome stains ahead of time so you will have the right products available.
- Use pressure washers sparingly: Pressure washers clean siding well, but this is not often recommended by manufacturers. However, homeowners may have few other options, unless they hire a professional to clean their siding. Do not use full pressure since you can dislodge pieces and need to call us for repair. Also, keep the steam flat and never angle it, or you will get water behind the siding. Be careful around plumbing connections, gutters and windows. If you trap water behind your siding, that will grow mold and lead to the need for siding installation. That is why you should only use pressure washers when they are absolutely necessary.
- Know what to avoid: Abrasives like steel wool and rough scrubbers need to stay away from your siding. The same is true of organic solvents, straight bleach, grease removers and nail polish remover. These will all compromise the surface of your siding.
Rhino Exteriors specializes in residential vinyl siding in Calgary. Contact us today to get an estimate on installation and learn about the products we offer.