Hail storms go beyond compromising your home’s aesthetics. If the damage is bad enough, you could be facing insurance claims and compromised structural integrity. Before the storms begin here in Calgary, you may want to consult with a roofing and siding contractor to see what you need to protect your home. Courtesy of an experienced roofing and siding contractor in Calgary, here are five products that can keep your home safe from hail this winter:
- Hardie siding: James Hardie Siding is known for its weather-specific design. Siding is categorized by two geographic zones: one being wet and freezing, and the other suffering from heat, humidity, and high temperatures. Here in Calgary, the Hardie zone type you would use is HZ5, which resists extreme cold and hail. If you want extra reinforcement this year, Hardie siding is a good way to go.
- Euroshield rubber roofing: This product is a welcome addition for freezing, snowy climates like ours. It is designed to withstand extreme hail impact, and it works so well that homes that have it are often quieter during these storms. Euroshield also uses 95 percent recycled materials for its products and is a leader in synthetic roof materials. You can choose from slate or shake styles that are barely distinguishable from the real thing, and that makes Euroshield a great choice for those who want style with their weather resistance.
- Other impact-resistant roofing: If Euroshield does not quite fit into your budget, there are other impact-resistant roofing materials available to you. When you are preparing your roof for upcoming hailstorms, you will use materials rated by UL or FM as Class 3 or 4. Products with these ratings have been tested for maximum impact resistance. You can find these options in asphalt, metal, slate or tile versions. However, if you choose a metal roof, be aware that, while it will not get punctured by hail, it will show dents.
- Storm shutters: Customers talk to us about windows, too, since a broken window at 3am during a hailstorm is unlikely to put any homeowner in a good mood. If the broken window is large enough, it can threaten your home’s structure, too. Storm shutters are a great option since you only need to activate them during extreme weather and they do not require window replacement. If you recently installed the latest and greatest in energy efficient windows, but you are not sure if they will survive a hailstorm, add storm shutters to protect them.
- Impact-resistant doors and windows: Just as there are impact-resistant roofing materials available, there are also the same options for windows and doors. Andersen Windows, Pella and JELD-WEN all manufacture hail-resistant products. They are made to withstand impacts and reduce noise, but also offer additional energy efficiency. Impact-resistant glass provides additional protection against prowling and forced entry, too. This is plenty of peace of mind in one product!
As a roofing and siding contractor in Calgary, Rhino Exteriors can reinforce the exterior of your home against hail. If you wish to add impact resistance to doors, windows, roofs and siding, call us today to schedule an estimate.