If you’re in the process of building a new home or just looking to remodel the outside of your current one, there’s no bigger choice than picking your new siding. Siding not only protects your home from the elements, it can also make or break the outward appearance of your home.
Nowadays, we have multiple options to choose from when it comes to siding installation in Calgary. Just like every choice we make, each option for new siding has its pros and cons. Continue to learn more about a few different siding materials and help make your decision easier.
Vinyl siding pros and cons
- It’s affordable: Depending on the brand, design and color of the vinyl siding you select, you’ll only pay between 65 cents and $2 per square foot. Talk about a great deal! If you choose to sell your home after installing vinyl siding, you can recoup 83 percent of the original installation cost.
- It’s completely customizable: There are literally hundreds of different color and design options available for vinyl siding installation in Calgary.
- It’s long-lasting: Depending on the quality of the installation and the brand name you choose, vinyl siding lasts between 20 and 30 years.
- It’s bad for the environment: As mentioned above, vinyl siding lasts for 20 to 30 years. Unfortunately, that means if you replace your siding before its lifespan is up, it may wind up sitting in a landfill for a very long time.
- It may eventually fade: If you choose a colored vinyl siding, the color has a potential to fade over time because of the beating it takes from the sun.
Brick siding pros and cons
- It adds value to your home: Brick is a beautiful option for your home. It’s very popular amongst homebuyers, and therefore can add value to your home when you’re trying to sell.
- It’s long-lasting: Brick can last for up to 100 years!
- It’s expensive: Brick is a lot more expensive to install than over materials because it’s so heavy and durable. The bricks can cost up to $10 per square foot.
- It can be hard to install: Installing brick on a home isn’t an easy task. You need to make sure you’re hiring a reputable company to do the installation so nothing goes awry.
Wood siding pros and cons
- It’s durable: Wood is another long-lasting siding material. If properly maintained, it can also last up to 100 years.
- Unlimited color options: Just like vinyl siding, which comes in hundreds of different colors, wood can be stained in any color you’d like.
- It requires a lot of upkeep: To keep your wood siding looking good and lasting a long time, you need to repaint or reseal the wood every few years. If homeowners neglect to do this, total replacement may be necessary, and that can cost thousands of dollars.
- It’s expensive: Coming in at up to $8 per square foot, wood is one of the more expensive siding options on the market.
Contact Rhino Exteriors today to learn more about all of your options when it comes to siding installation in Calgary!