Although right now the winter might seem like it’s never going to end, the spring will be here sooner than you think. That is why now is the time to start preparing your spring maintenance list, and your roofing contractors in Calgary are here to help with some project ideas:
- Check for water damage in your basement: Winter is slowly drawing to a close, making now a good time to check your basement for water damage in advance of the rainy spring season. If you notice wet spots, mold, condensation on the ductwork or strange odors, there might be a source of leakage or excess moisture in your basement, and you will want to have a professional come in and take a look right away.
- Checking your air conditioner: It is never too early to check to make sure your air conditioner is in good shape. Turn your AC on to make sure it works, and use this opportunity to change the filter, clean out any debris and check for leaks.
- Exterior walls: You should also walk around your house to look for any signs of damage to your home’s exterior. Check for peeling paint, rotting wood, water stains or any other signs that your home could be holding on to moisture and humidity.
- Chimney: If the joints between the bricks or stones on your chimney appear to have white calcium deposits, your chimney is due for re-sealing. Additionally, make sure that your chimney is not leaning or tilting in any direction, as this could be a sign of a more serious foundation issue with your home.
- Spring landscaping: If the branches on the trees near your home are too long, they could eventually become a source of moisture and other problems for your house, so make sure to have them trimmed if needed. Also take time to ensure no branches are hanging perilously over your roof, as these could pose a hazard during spring storms.
- Roof maintenance: After a long winter of supporting the weight of snow and ice, the shingles on your roof could have sustained damage. Have the shingles inspected for any cracks or missing fasteners, and if any shingles have shifted or are missing completely, have them repaired or replaced right away.
- Keep your gutters clear: Make sure that your gutters are clear of any debris and buildup that might have occurred over the past few months, as this buildup could present issues, not only for the gutters themselves, but for your entire home if allowed to sit for too long.
While these issues might seem small, if they are allowed to go on for too long, you could be looking at extensive damage and costly repairs. To update the look of your home this spring, contact the team at Rhino Exteriors, your go-to roofing contractors in Calgary. In addition to our roofing services, we can work wonders with your siding, gutters and even decorative trim. It is our goal to make sure that the outside of your home truly stands out from every other house on the block. Give us a call today to set up a visit!