Replacing your home’s siding is one of the best ways to protect your property from the elements, insulate it for better energy efficiency and instantly improve its curb appeal. There are multiple types of siding, including wood, aluminum and vinyl.
Recently, smart board siding has been gaining popularity among Calgary homeowners. It’s an engineered material that is designed to provide better longevity, appearance and insulation. If you’re thinking about replacing your siding, you might want to consider smart board.
What is smart board siding?
Smart board siding is an engineered wood siding that’s made from wood chips or strands and bound together with resin. The materials are compressed into boards, then coated with moisture-resistant layers to protect the siding from the elements. In other words, it gives you the wood siding appearance, but without the risk of rot, warping and other issues that make wood siding a challenge to maintain.
Here’s a closer look at some of the pros and cons associated with smart board siding:
- Affordable: Engineered wood like smart board siding costs about half the price of wooden siding, making it a great budget option for the savvy homeowner. If you’ve been waiting to replace your siding due to cost, this is a great way to save money and get the look you want.
- Superior durability: Your smart board siding can withstand impact from hail, objects and more. For example, if your kids throw a baseball into cement, aluminum or wooden siding, it will probably leave a dent. Vinyl siding might crack. Smart board siding, however, has high impact resistance.
- Instant curb appeal: Because smart board siding comes in a wide variety of colors and shapes, you’ll be able to get the exact look you want.
- Comprehensive warranty: Most smart board siding comes with a comprehensive warranty for at least the first five years after installation, with a limited warranty for up to 50 years total. That makes it a safe choice for many homeowners.
- Easy installation: Smart board siding installation is easy in Calgary—it’s lightweight, designed to interlock and takes about 30 percent less time to install than other siding materials.
- Adds structural support: This siding is so sturdy that it can provide structural support to your home, including your rain gutters and other exterior features.
- You have to prime and paint the sides: When your siding is cut, the edges will need to be primed and painted separately. You should also plan to repaint your siding every few years as necessary.
- The coating can occasionally flake: If your siding is improperly installed, the coating can flake off. That can lead to less pest and moisture protection.
- Not burn resistant: Finally, smart board siding is not burn resistant like other siding materials can be. It’s better than regular wood siding, but doesn’t stand up to fire like cement and other materials can.
Smart board siding is a great choice for many homeowners. If you’re interested in finding out whether it’s right for you, call Rhino Exteriors for a quote today.