Does your home need a facelift? Replacing your exterior house trim in Calgary can give it a whole new look. There are plenty of modern options to choose from, so you can customize your home’s exterior to your heart’s content. Here are a few reasons why you should consider replacing the trim—and some of the options you should consider.
When to replace your exterior trim
Not sure if it’s time to replace your trim? Here are some factors to take into account:
- It’s damaged or rotted: To find rotting exterior trim, you’ll need to look beneath the surface. Actually, you’ll need to feel for it. Go around your home and press on the trim with your fingers. If it feels soft or mushy, your trim is rotting and it will need to be replaced. Soft spots are almost never limited to one area.
- You can no longer repair it: Eventually, there will come a time when you need to replace your trim simply because you can no longer repair it. Cracked, chipped and rotting trim can only be repaired so many times before it becomes a fool’s errand to continue. Consider replacing the trim for uniform results.
- It’s out of date: Of course, you can always paint your trim, especially when you replace your siding—but if your trim has been around for decades, it’s probably time for an upgrade. Exterior trim is designed to highlight your Calgary home’s features. A simple upgrade can give your home an entirely new look, without the price tag of brand-new siding or paint.
- You want a fresh new look: Even if your trim isn’t out of date or damaged, you might simply want a new look. Replacing the trim with a new style is a great way to update your home’s curb appeal.
- It can prevent further damage: Finally, when the trim is damaged, that damage can spread to other parts of your home. Consider replacing the trim with something new to prevent further damage to your home’s structure or exterior.
Exterior trim options
When choosing new trim, you have a few options. Most of us are familiar with wood trim—it’s classic, beautiful and can be painted or stained in any color you choose. However, wood is also prone to rotting, warping and termite damage. This leads to a higher need for replacement and repair.
Synthetic options like polymer and PVC prevent insect damage and rot, but they may not be suitable for Calgary’s extreme winters. Polymer drastically expands and contracts, but it’s also very easy to paint and install. PVC has the same issues, but can really only be painted light colors.
Finally, fiber cement trim is another good option. It won’t rot and insects can’t damage it, and it doesn’t expand and contract like synthetic trim. It either comes primed for painting or pre-finished, depending on the options you choose.
When you’re ready to install new decorative siding trim in Calgary, Rhino Exteriors can make it happen. Call us today to talk about your exterior trim options.