Once you’re ready for your roof replacement, some essential tasks must be completed before the work begins. You can avoid delays and complications when you or your roofing pro prepares the area.
How Do I Prepare My Roof for a Roof Replacement?
Most of the time a roof replacement specialist spends at your home will be on the roof. Yet the areas surrounding the roof are just as important as the roof itself to prepare for the job. Keep reading to learn about preparations to complete on the roof, around your home, and even inside your home.
What Are Ways To Prepare My Roof for Repair?
The roof should be cleared of all debris, including leaves, branches, twigs, and nuts. Climbing onto a roof isn’t possible for some people, but a roofing contractor like Rhino Exteriors in Okotoks, AB, can include that as part of their roof replacement service. Make sure to request a quote that includes both the preparations and repair to keep from having to do it all yourself.
More Roof Repair Preparations
Once the roof is cleared of foreign objects, there’s still preparation to complete outside and inside your home. First, let’s look at what needs to be done outside.
Exterior Preparation Tips
- If you park your car close to your home or in a garage, you’ll want to find a temporary parking spot away from your home. The roofers will have heavy materials sent up and down from the roof, so your car is at risk of damage if it’s in the driveway. Vehicles in the garage are also at risk if the vibrations of the roofing work cause anything to fall, damaging your vehicle.
- If you have a locked, fenced-in yard, remove the lock or keep the gates open. This helps roofers to move freely.
- Anything close to your home should be moved at least 15 feet away. This can include patio furniture, fire pits, and anything else you’d like to keep safe during the replacement.
- If you can’t move your furniture or other items like an A/C unit, cover them using a tarp or sheet. If anything falls, you’ll have some protection from it.
- Cover your plants and bushes with a tarp or net. This will make it easier to see and remove any fallen shingles.
- Cut your grass right before work is scheduled to start. Shorter grass makes you more likely to see nails, shingles, or other debris.
- If you have a satellite dish, ask your provider to temporarily remove it. You should also remove any antennae.
- Make sure that your electrical outlets are safe and in working condition. You can consult the project manager or an electrician if you have any doubts.
- Turn off your sprinkler system if you have one, and mark any potential tripping hazards.
- Cover any windows that may be at risk of becoming damaged by falling debris.
Interior Preparation Tips
- The vibrations of the work on your roof can cause your decorations and photos to fall. Take them down and put them in a safe location until the job is done.
- If you have an attic, move everything you can out during the replacement. If you can’t move anything, cover it up. Debris can fall into your attic, so keep your items safe until the roof is finished.
- Fragile and glass items should be put into safe storage until the work is complete.
Both exterior and interior preparations are essential to ensure your roof replacement goes smoothly. Discuss any concerns about being unable to complete external preparations with your project manager. Many services, including Rhino Exteriors, can take care of that task.
Bonus Preparation Tips
While not necessary, you can do some things to make your roofing replacement a smooth process for others. First, ensure that you provide a location away from the construction for your family and pets. The constant noise can make it an unpleasant experience for all.
Second, let your neighbors know that you’ll be having your roof replaced. This way, your neighbors can also keep an eye out for any debris that might have made its way to their yard.
Roof Replacement Made Easy
You get peace of mind when you hire a roof replacement pro to help you prepare your home. The pros at Rhino Exteriors in Okotoks, AB, offer both services with professionalism and exceptional expertise. Call them now at 403-980-4641 or contact them using their online form here to get started!